Presenter: DeShanna Byrdlong
Topic: The Connection Between Alcohol, Other Drugs and HIV/STDs/Hepatitis
1. HIV/STD Risk for Women
2. HIV/STD Risk for the Aging
3. Drug Use and Viral Infection
The workshop presentation will provide an overview on the basics of HIV/AIDS/STDs/Hepatitis C and the risk associated with drugs and alcohol. An overview of the latest data and trends, populations at risk, reducing the risk of alcohol and drug use, women and drugs amd sexually transmitted disease for vulnerable populations.
DeShanna Byrdlong presently works at Prairie State Legal Services as an Outreach Compliance Paralegal with the HIV/AIDS Project. Her responsibilities include assisting a Project Manager and five project attorneys with various civil legal aid cases, compiling client data and completing required reports for funding entities regarding Ryan White Part A/B Grants. She also participates in HIV/AIDS client and service provider networks in the Greater Chicago area and maintains regular contact with case managers. DeShanna is also responsible for identifying and responding to emerging legal issues affecting persons living with HIV/AIDS through the development of innovative outreach and education programs.
Topic: Strength Based Assessments and Counseling
Presenter: Peter Bradley, LPC, CRADC, PCGC
1. Understand the basic principles in Strength Based assessment and treatment planning
2. Take a look at some of the philosophical foundations of Strength Based counseling
3. Consider how we communicate with clients, the questions that we can use to inspire Strength Based responses, and adopt non-judgemental approaches that can lead to higher rates of treatment efficacy
Peter Bradley is a two-time graduate from Governors State IUniversity. After completing a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Psychology with a double minor (Addiction Studies and Communications) he went on to obtain his Masters of Arts Degree in Community Counseling.
Peter had an extremely rewarding career with the South Suburban Council on Alcoholism and Substance Abuse. At the Council, he served in the Men’s Residential Program in the capacity of a Senior Addictions Counselor and Clinical Supervisor. Peter currently works as a Corporate Services Clinician with the Illinois Institute for Addiction Recovery at Ingalls Hospital in Harvey, IL.
Peter is a regular lecturer at universities, hospitals, churches and other treatment centers.
Peter enjoys reading, teaching, learning, and spending time with his family, friends, and church family. Advocacy and Outreach are two areas of special interest.
Presenter: Larry Dunbar, MS, CAADC, CADP, MISA2
Topic: The Role of Substance Use in Media
Search our site
- Fentanyl Use Linked to Amnesia
- Opioid Epidemic Burdening Grandparents
- Medicaid Contributing to Opioid Crisis
- Opiates Responsible for Decreased Life Expectancy
- Inmates Get Funding to Re-enter Society Sober
- C.D.C. Reports Jump in Drug Overdose Deaths
- Stigma Keeps People Silenced
- CVS Sets Limits on Opioid Prescriptions
- Released Inmates Given Naloxone
- Overdose Deaths Rose 19% in 2016